Are you looking to make your business more flexible for working moms? That’s a great idea! Working moms now account for around one-third of women who work so it is absolutely essential to be as flexible as you can. Too often can a business lose great employees just because they aren’t flexible enough for working moms.
There are many ways you can integrate more flexibility into your workplace so let’s have a look at some of the ways you can do this:
What Makes It Beneficial For Your Business To Be More Balance-Friendly?
This is obviously the right thing to do for your employees, but why will your business benefit from making your workplace more flexible for working moms?
- It benefits your bottom line. Businesses that have women in 30% of leadership roles often see a financial benefit
- Turnover can be expensive. If you lose a working mom because you aren’t flexible you will have additional costs for replacing them.
- When you are more diverse you attract more diversity. You are more likely to attract great working moms with great skills if you already show that you can accommodate them in existing roles.
- You will have a more diverse team.
Why Does A Working Mom Need Flexibility?
You may not realize it but when you are a working mom trying to juggle family life and work can be extremely stressful. When you have a workplace that offers flexibility this stress is alleviated and the impact on both work and life is huge. Any parent needs to have some flexibility some of the reasons may include:
- A child being ill.
- The school or daycare has to close or the child needs to be picked up early because of sickness or an accident.
- They need to go to an appointment that they can’t take the kids to or they need to take the kids to an important appointment.
- There is an essential repair or workman coming to the house. You can’t expect these to always be on a weekend, especially when there are kids at home.
- Other unexpected emergencies.
Working moms need to know that they can have the flexibility to handle emergencies as and when they need to and not be worried that it’ll impact how they are seen in the workplace.
This has become more and more used by businesses, especially since the Covid-19 pandemic. Many businesses have realized that it is entirely possible and actually beneficial to use remote workers. Whether it’s a medical virtual receptionist or a style of hybrid working for a manager it’s definitely worth considering as an option for your business. Did you know that employees who work from home are actually more productive? This is a form of flexibility that has very minimal costs too. You could potentially reduce your office space too which is a further saving.
Are you considering being more flexible for working moms? It would be great to hear about what you are going to try in the comments below.